Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hero's quest

I went to my Advanced Storyboarding class for the first time tonight. I don't know why the instructors think it's a good idea to review the entire syllabus in a five minute period of time. I walked into this degree program thinking that I was smart, creative, and driven enough to make it through. In five minutes, my entire confident way of thinking went right out the window. I started to panic. There is no way I can do this, I am not smart or talented enough.

As I was working my way into a frenzy, the teacher started to discuss the Hero's quest. For those of you who may not be familiar with writing, that is the basis of any story. Nearly every single story ever written follows a certain structure (sometimes very loosely) In any case, one aspect of the hero's quest is that before they embark on their journey, they initially refuse. They feel they do not have what it takes to succeed. That's when it clicked. I am on a hero's quest. Of course I have no idea what I am doing, that's why I'm going to school. No "hero" sets out on their quest fully equipped and able to conquer right off the bat.

I know it will take a lot of time, and effort, but I am ready. I love going to class, I love the thought that in twelve weeks I will have made my own commercial/music video/script. I get excited on school days, counting down the hours til class starts. This is new to me. I have never wanted to go to school. If I get this happy about my classes, I can only imagine how thrilled I will be when I am actually working in the field. I am ready to accept my quest!

No comments: