Thursday, September 9, 2010

Molassas cookies


I love chocolate chip cookies. Sometimes I like a little variety though, so I decided to make molasses cookies. I knew I loved them, but I had no idea Phillip would like them so much. He would have me bake them every day if I was willing! The thing I really like is that they are already dairy free.



3/4 cup shortening (this tastes much better in Molasses cookies then in snickerdoodles)

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup molasses

1 beaten egg

2 cups flour

2 tsp soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp ginger

1 tsp cloves


Roll in balls, dip in sugar 350 degrees.


Once again this is one of my Mom's recipes so I had to experiment. What seemed to work was mixing the shortening and sugar then adding the molasses and egg. The rest I mixed in a separate bowl and stirred into wet mix slowly. I made approximately 1 " balls and cooked them until they were a little crispy on the edges and slightly darker on top. The first batch I made I didn't think had enough spice to it, so I added a little extra molasses, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves the next time and it was perfect!

No comments: