Oh man, a twelve hour trip just isn't the same when you have two kids. Our little weekend excursion was quite an adventure. I was lucky that my wonderful husband agreed to ride in the car with the boys, so the only thing I had to hear was the wailing when I would be on the phone with him! The trip started out fine. We decided we were going to take it extremely slow. We had seven hours of driving to do the first day, and we were planning on taking up to twelve hours to do it. We started out rough, five minutes down the road Phillip pulls over. Tobin is screaming. We take him out, I calm him down, and he burps. Then he's fine. Phew, so we get back on the road. The first two hours Tobin was asleep, so we drove straight through. After that we had to stop about every hour. Tobin had about two screaming spells. One he fell asleep as soon as we pulled over, so we kept going, and the other we pulled over. Both times it turned out he had pooped, and of course was extremely uncomfortable. After about five poops we came to terms with the fact that he had diarrhea. Perfect timing. So, from then on, every time he started fussing we pulled over to check for poopies. Three mins from our hotel he loses it. Phillip pulls off to the side of the road, and I run over to help. We lay him down to change his diaper and he starts screaming even more. This time he wasn't poopy, so we were confused. I decided to nurse him. While I was nursing I got a feeling I should kinda push on his back to see if that was why he screamed so hard when we layed him down. Sure enough he started whimpering. When we took him out and looked at his back he had two marks on him from the car seat, beneath the padding! Every time we put him in his seat he started screaming, we had no idea how we were going to get to the hotel! Finally we decided to fold up a blanket, stuff it behind him, and pray that he would keep calm enough to breathe all the way to the hotel. We finally made it. As soon as Phillip unloaded everything, he ran right to walmart and bought the cushiest car seat they had. I have learned my lesson that a car seat is not something you want to "save money" on! The person who took Phillip's reservation had forgotten to include that we had a dog, and that we needed a roll away, and since there were no more "pet rooms" We had to sneak Dexter in the back. (They still were able to charge for a pet of course) Phillip took Hunter swimming for about ten minutes, because we had promised him, luckily it was cold, so he volunteered to get out. At this point it is about 9:30. Tobin has a fever of 101.7 so I give him a cool bath and try to just let him relax. Before I put him to bed I take his temp again, and it is now 102.4. So I decide to give him Tylenol, and I sleep with him. I just feel safer when he is right on me when he's sick. The next morning his fever was gone, and he hadn't pooped all night. He continued to have diarrhea off an on for a few days, but he seems to finally be slowing down.
The next day, we only had five hours to drive. We were so rattled from the night before, those five hours seemed like an eternity. Halfway through, when we realized Tobin was ok, we kind of calmed down. His new car seat was a hit, and he slept almost the entire way.
We made it though, and I am so proud of us as a team that we were able to push through when things did not run smoothly! We did have some fun times too along the way!
This was my view the whole trip. (the back of Phillip's truck)

This was at the first stop we made.
This is a rest stop that we have stopped at every trip (there and back) to Minnesota that we have made. It is on the Kansas turnpike.






Tobin finally relaxing in his cushy carseat.
No comments:
Post a Comment