Monday, August 2, 2010

Chicken and Ham "Pot Pie"




We had a ham that the Navy gave me for Easter, we finally cubed it up last weekend, which is why we are having tons of ham dishes for the moment. This one is not actually pot pie, but a much simpler version. I mixed recipes since the one in the book called for instant biscuits and I wanted to use homemade. I made a double batch so I could freeze the dough and have easy biscuits next time.

Easy Drop Biscuits
Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbls sugar
1 Baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbls dairy free margarine
1 cup almond milk


Directions:
Mix together flour, sugar baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter. Add Milk slowly while stirring to form dough. Cook at 400 for 10-12 mins. I put mine in muffin tins, but you can just drop them on a baking sheet as well.

Chicken and Ham "Pot Pie"

Ingredients:
1 7 1/2 ounce pck buttermilk biscuits (obviously I did not use these)
1 tbls dairy free margarine
1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs trimmed of all fat and cut into 1 inch cubes (I used chicken breast)
1 (8 ounce) ham steak cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 minced garlic cloves
1 onion
1 10 oz package frozen mixed veggies (I just used some green beans and some broccoli)
1 cup fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 pepper
2 tbls cornstarch
3/4 cup almond milk

Directions:
1) Put biscuits in oven

2) Melt butter in skillet and add chicken and ham, until chicken is almost cooked through.

3) Add garlic onion and veggies until veggies are tender

4) Add chicken broth thyme and pepper

5) Blend the cornstarch with milk in small bowl and stir into skillet. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring until thick.

6) Top with biscuits and serve.

TIP: Use a REALLY big skillet. By the time I got to the last step I could barely stir.

Rating:
I liked it, although I thought the biscuits were quite salty

Phillip liked it

Hunter said it was sooo good, and then by the end said he hated it, so who knows!
I have just realized that I used baking soda instead of powder (a mistake I have now made twice) That is why I did not like them. Now I am angry that I made a double batch!

No comments: