Thursday, August 5, 2010

Penne with Asparagus and Parmesan


This meal was a potential disaster, turned into a pretty good meal. Tobin is teething, and is demanding a lot of time, especially all night long. Working on little sleep in the kitchen is not a great idea for me. Thankfully I was able to produce something edible. The plan was to make Penne with Asparagus and Parmesan (of course minus the Parmesan) While I was cooking I realized "my goodness, this is just noodles with asparagus" which obviously is not a meal. So I decided to add some of our abundant supply of ham to the mix. ( Hopefully I will use the last of it for breakfast this weekend) While cutting up my new ingredient, I burnt the garlic. Oh well, I don't want to eat chunks of garlic anyway so no harm done. Then I decided to put some of my 99 cent frozen day old baguette in the oven. Which I also burned. I had more though, and only put it in for a few mins (the inside was still cold, but at this point I no longer cared) All in all, it turned out much better then it should have!



Penne with Asparagus and Parmesan


Ingredients:

1/2 pound penne (we use whole wheat)

1 Tbls olive oil

1 garlic clove thinly sliced

1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes in their juice (of course you can use fresh, but I am saving my fresh tomatoes for brochette)

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 pound asparagus cut on diagonal in 1 inch pieces

1/2 cup coarsely cut basil (Basil is the one herb I will shell out some money to buy fresh. I do not no what coarsely cut means, so I just chopped it up)

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (omitted)


Directions:

1) Cook penne

2) Heat oil in large skillet and brown garlic

3)Add tomatoes and broth and bring to boil

4) Let simmer for five mins uncovered

5) Add asparagus, cover, and let simmer for five mins ( here was another error, I covered and let simmer for five minutes without adding the asparagus!)

6)Pour over the penne and add basil and Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat. ( I just poured it over the noodles like a spaghetti sauce and topped with basil.


Rating:

I really liked it

Phillip thought it was ok (not a fan of veggies)

Hunter ate it all (in order to get home made chocolate chip cookies) but didn't really say what he thought.

No comments: