Chili Spiked Rice and Bean Salad with Chicken
Ingredients:
4 cups cooked boil in bag rice ( I just used normal brown rice, took longer, but is better)
3 tbls chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbls cider vinegar
2 Tbls extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbls chili powder
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp ground cumin
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup seeded and chopped green bell pepper (did not use)
2 large scallions chopped (did not use)
Directions:
1) Combine rice, parsley, vinegar, oil, chili pepper,salt, and cumin into large bowl.
2) Stir in Chicken, bell peppers, beans, and scallions, toss to combine.
This meal was a huge learning experience for me. Our family does not particularly care for spicy food, so I decided to cut back on the chili powder a tad. Well, after tasting it, I realized that the chili powder counteracted the vinegar, thus in using less chili powder the vinegar was overwhelming. I also am starting to realize that you can not simply omit ingredients you do not like. I am sure the bell pepper and onion would have soaked up some of the sauce/flavor, and also would have helped with the vinegar overload. In conclusion I have decided that the next time I make it, we will use WAY less vinegar. It was still quite good, and was indeed perfect for a hot summer day.
Rating:
I could tell I would really like it if cut back on vinegar
Phillip felt the same, he said it was so far his favorite
Hunter really liked it (wow!!!)
1 comment:
Blech, I hate cumin!
Post a Comment